Thursday, July 22, 2010

Honker Pass

Sierra City at the Red Moose Cafe was wonderful! They 2 new owners of the place closed their place to public that night to cater a private party for the 6 hikers that were there. Ribs and other fixings for dinner with all you can eat pancakes the next morning. Had lots of mail at the post office in town that Monday morning as well. Thank you Monty and Grandaddy, Lou and Dwight for the letters and special thanks to Miss Mary, my new aunt in-law, for a huge care package filled with some awesome food and other luxurious amenities!

Since leaving Sierra City I have hiked about 70 miles in the past three days, with one of which covered 31 miles. I saw two black bears on Tuesday during that 31 mile day. Yesterday I arrived at the Big Creek Road and hitched 2 miles down to Honker Pass to the William's nice cabin near Bucks Lake. Very friendly family that really made me feel right at home. Nancy Williams has been inviting thru hikers into her home as of last summer, and now has the help of her son's family including his wife and two young kids, 1st and 3rd graders. I was the only hiker to be here at Honker Pass yesterday, so I had the run of the house and most importantly had the opportunity to share more personal time with the Williams while watching the Giants game. Shelly and Nancy's son, Dennis had breakfast for me this morning with a full plate of eggs, fresh fruit, berries, potatoes, biscuits and gravy! Don't have much time to write much more before the family will be taking me back up the road to the trail where I left it. My next certain mail drop will be at mile 1423 at Burney Falls State Park. Here's the address:

Zac Finley PCT Thru hiker
McArthur-Burney Falls State Park
24898 Hwy 89
Burney, California 96013
(530) 335-4214

This address may change actually! My mom will be checking into it by tomorrow and will update the blog for a definite accurate address.

Thanks, as always, for your support and prayers. Happy Trails!

No comments: